Saturday, August 13, 2022

Fringe 2022 - Context


As we head into closing weekend, I just thought I'd mention something.

If you've seen me out and about, I probably had a red portfolio in my hands.  I've taken it with me everywhere this Fringe.

The notebooks I've been taking my notes on shows in so I have reference points later as I'm writing reviews are actually much smaller and tucked inside that portfolio.

So, why have I been carrying this thing around?

Well, one, it actually is handy, there's places to put pens so I don't have to carry them around in my pocket, and I can fit a couple of notebooks in there, plus whatever script I happen to be working on writing.

But the primary reason I'm carrying it around with me is it belonged to my mother, Beverlee.

It's one of the many useful and interesting items I discovered when I was working with my brother Mark to clean out her house after she died.

So, it's just a symbol of her still following me around as I go from show to show this Fringe.  In some small physical way, she's still with me on this journey.

We find comfort in the strangest things sometimes.

This one's mine.

Happy closing weekend, everyone.  Let's see some shows!


(You can click on the following links to see a set of links to reviews of all the 5 and 4.5 star shows (VERY highly recommended), 4 and 3.5 star shows (highly recommended) as well as other shows, plus the full Top 10 list, the Top 11-20 list, a list of returning favorites, and the full coverage of the 2022 Fringe on this blog.) 

(Side note: The primary may be over, but the midterm elections are coming up soon. Early voting for the election starts Friday, September 23 (so, not much more than a month after Fringe is over). You can check out what's on your ballot ahead of time on the Minnesota Secretary of State website, as well as other voting services and information - like handy links to all the candidates who have websites so you can learn more.  In Minneapolis, not only do we have the Governor and Lt. Governor on the ballot, but there's our U.S. Congressional Rep., our MN State Senator, the MN Secretary of State and MN Attorney General, as well as our County Sheriff and County Attorney, and two members of the Minneapolis School Board.  These are the people who decide what laws we live under and how they get enforced.  These are the people who decide whether or not we have voting rights.  These are the people who decide how our kids learn.  This is how we change things.  Personally, I'm alternately furious and despairing that my goddaughter and her little sister now have fewer rights over their own bodies than they did when 2022 began. There are things we can do, voting in the general election is one of them - if you're looking to volunteer, here's a place to learn more.)

 

 

No comments: