Friday, July 14, 2023

Fringe 2023 - Returning Favorites - Mason Tyer (Six Elements Theatre)


Kill B: The Epilogue

"Kill B: The Epilogue,” a satirical sequel to Quentin Tarantino's "Kill Bill" duology, focuses on generational trauma, the manipulation of men, and the desire to be known and loved.

Venue: Augsburg MainStage
Tagged for: Drama, Physical Theater, LGBTQIA+ Content
Content Warnings: Adult language, Abuse/Physical Violence, Loud Noises, Gun/Weapon Usage, Mental Illness, Violence

Don’t ask me how, squeamish as I normally am, I managed to sit through both parts of the original “Kill Bill” epic.  So much violence, so much blood, so much killing.  But it also had a weird sense of style and sense of humor so I guess that’s what dragged me through the whole thing.  Also, I was younger.  We won’t dwell on how much younger, it’s on IMDB, you can look it up.

Given that there’s an LGBTQIA+ Content tag on this one, I’m assuming this means that playwright Merit Burgett’s take on the material will engage me in ways I wouldn’t normally expect a "Kill Bill" homage to do.

Mostly I’m interested because Mason Tyer and Six Elements Theater are involved.  Mason and the other theater he works with, Red Dice Collective) were on the pre-Fringe Top 20 list here in 2018 for their show Cyrano On The Moon, which was so enchanting I saw it twice (which I rarely do with Fringe shows). Mason was back doing fight choreography for a show in last year’s Fringe as well.  

Back in my theater reviewing days with the Twin Cities Daily Planet, I saw and enjoyed a couple of Six Elements Theatre productions, including a Shakespeare and a low (as in phillip andrew bennett low of Maximum Verbosity, who’s also back again this year, more on him shortly).

One of Six Elements’ annual offerings pre-pandemic was Human Combat Chess.  Stage combat has always been a bit part of their artistic mission, so "Kill B" in their hands promises to be quite an entertaining Fringe show.


Here's some handy links to this year's Top 10, and Top 11-20 Lists, plus the full list of all returning favorites at this year's Fringe, plus a link to all the 2023 Minnesota Fringe Festival coverage



No comments: