Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Fringe 2023 - Top 20 - #19 - Verities


Verities
Divine Entertainment Production (Anthony Stanton)

Songs and stories from a NYC cater waiter during the heights of the AIDS epidemic.

Venue: Bryant Lake Bowl
Tagged for: Musical Theater, Storytelling, Historical Content, LGBTQIA+ Content
Content Warnings: Adult Language, Sexual Content

Yes, I’ll admit I had to look it up.  Verity: a true principle or belief, especially one of fundamental importance.

Anthony Stanton has been living with HIV for almost 40 years now (and that’s no small feat) so…. I want to hear those stories.

As someone who was just coming out as a young gay man in the early years of the AIDS epidemic, I’ve heard my share of stories.  But honestly, it’s been a while.  Queer entertainment has (thankfully) expanded beyond just those early stories (what sometimes felt like “homosexual suffering as entertainment” - there were few happy endings, or even just ‘not fatal’ ones).  But I’ve been fortunate enough to avoid infection myself, so I’ve had the luxury of being able to step away from stories of HIV/AIDS for a while.  I could stand a reminder, and this format sounds promising.  So I find myself drawn to be supportive.  (Even the items offering context on the Fringe show’s “More Information” tab take me back to another time.)

Well worth a jaunt into Uptown to the Bryant Lake Bowl for a show outside the central hub of other Fringe shows.

Plus we’ve got songs, and a pianist.  
Want some familiar names?  Guthrie, Ordway and History Theater all pop up in the bios of the crew working on the show as well.

Friday and Saturday at 8:30pm both weekends of the Fringe, Sundays at 5:30pm both weekends

Update, their Fringe preview:

 

Here's some handy links to this year's Top 10, and Top 11-20 Lists, plus the full list of all returning favorites at this year's Fringe, plus a link to all the 2023 Minnesota Fringe Festival coverage.  

 

 

No comments: