Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Fringe 2023 - Top 20 - #12 - Allegro


Allegro
Garrison Shea

Ben is a musician who wants to compose music for films but feels stuck. When the perfect opportunity presents itself, he sprints towards it, leaving a wake of collateral damage behind him.

Venue: Southern Theater
Tagged for: Comedy, Drama, Musical Theater, Original Music, LGBTQIA+ Content
Content Warnings: Adult Language, Crude Humor, Drug Content, Flashing Lights, Loud Noises, Mental Illness, Sexual Content

This is one of those rare times at Fringe previews where a show I wasn’t sure about breaks through and convinces me, “Ok, now that’s a show I really want to see.”  Most shows, for better and for worse, reinforce what I was already thinking of them.  Every now and again I get a pleasant or unpleasant surprise steering my opinion in the opposite direction. But it’s the shows where I have sparse information that can really benefit in previews from finally showing me what they are.

In the case of Garrison Shea and his show “Allegro,” he used the time to give us a sampling of the conceit of the show and his sense of humor, both of which immediately won me over.

It’s going to be a very sound-driven show, because our hero (an aspiring composer) constantly hears a movie soundtrack in his head accompanying the ups and downs of his life.  And the closer someone is to him (family, best friend, etc.) the more they can hear the soundtrack, too.  Strangers have no idea - but we in the audience of course get to hear it.

Shea played off both the audience, and his accompanying soundscape with perfect timing.  I can’t recall a Fringe show doing something like this before, so I’m intrigued.

Also, during the preview, he had selling points for the show that worked in both ways - if you love musicals, there’s a musical number; if you hate musicals, there’s only one musical number.  Then he said, “So, what kind of show is it?  Well, I’m glad you all collectively asked me that.”  And then a kid in the audience asked, “What kind of show is it?” and Shea played off that unexpected moment quite well.  Sometimes when a show is so dependent on a sound cue, it’s hard to preview it effectively.  But “Allegro” put its best musical foot forward.

Also, their video trailer is brief but kinda hilarious.  Bonus points.

I’m getting this one on my schedule.

Here’s the Fringe preview


 

 

Here's some handy links to this year's Top 10, and Top 11-20 Lists, plus the full list of all returning favorites at this year's Fringe, plus a link to all the 2023 Minnesota Fringe Festival coverage.   

 

 

No comments: