Tuesday, July 04, 2023

Fringe 2023 - Returning Favorites - Goddard’s Gardens


Open Mic at the DREAM Shop

Open Mic at the DREAM Shop is an open and honest and loving presentation of the best of North Minneapolis. Spoken word, poetry and music combines to uplift and inspire.

Venue: Mixed Blood Theatre
Tagged for: Original Music, Spoken Word, Storytelling
Content Warnings: Adult Language, Drug Content, Loud Noises

I’m just going to start proselytizing now.  At last year’s Fringe when people asked me what shows I liked, I would frequently pipe up about two shows that I thought were great but were criminally underseen because the crowds were really small.  (First Fringe back in person after a two year pandemic pause, some shows were bound to get overlooked, as they are even in the best of years.)  I would tout Ancestors Rising from Goddard’s Gardens (#2 on my pre-Fringe Top 10 list for 2022), and ShMILF Life from Penny Sterling (a returning Top 10 favorite from 2017).  Penny’s a touring artist so we won’t have a chance to see her this year. But the Goddard’s Gardens producers are local.  Last year they gave a showcase to Joe Davis and… wow.  So I’m trusting that they’re pulling together another great line-up of talent that I’m going to enjoy.  If you didn’t catch Joe last year (or if you were one of the lucky few who did), put this new showcase on your schedule.  I’m super interested to see what they’ve got in store.

 

Here's some handy links to this year's Top 10, and Top 11-20 Lists, plus the full list of all returning favorites at this year's Fringe, plus a link to all the 2023 Minnesota Fringe Festival coverage

 

 

No comments: