Sunday, July 10, 2022

Fringe 2022 - Top Ten - #1 - The Marvelous Magpie Moon – DeerChild Puppets (Eva Adderly)

Could the rumors that Little Maggie Pie is stealing shiny things from her peers to help a magpie goddess capture their souls be true? Watch this puppet show to find out!

Most years when I’m perusing the Fringe show listings, looking for things I want to see, pondering what’s going to be in the Top 10 or 20, there’s always a show that pops out and makes me think, “Yes, absolutely, that’s one I want to make sure I don’t miss, that’s something I’m going to schedule everything else around, that’s probably my #1.”  This year it’s The Marvelous Magpie Moon and the reason is simple - Eva Adderly.

The group DeerChild Puppets is the creation of Eva Adderly.  Eva passed through the writing group I run for a few years after she moved to the Twin Cities.  She’s a really good and inventive playwright.  And she’s perhaps an even better puppeteer.  The creation and public display of puppetry has been the focus of Eva’s last several years across various venues.  I haven’t gotten to see a lot of it in person and have had to content myself with seeing the pictures of the work in progress and shows after the fact on her social media feeds.

So there’s no better time than the Fringe to fix that gap in my entertainment diet.  There’s not a lot of detail to be found about the show on its Fringe show page (just the description above and the genre listings of “magic, mystery, and puppetry”), but if Eva’s the creative mind behind it all, that’s all the information I need to convince me to go.  You should check it out, too.  I have no higher recommendation this Fringe.  Very much looking forward to this one.

 

(You can click on the following links to see a set of links to the full Top 10 list, the Top 11-20 list, a list of returning favorites, and the full coverage of the 2022 Fringe on this blog.) 

 

 

No comments: