Friday, July 22, 2022

Fringe 2022 - Returning Favorites - The Drollery


All We Ever Wanted Was Everything - The Drollery

Join Chris & Leah, Millennials born in the Twin Cities who were taught they could achieve anything they dream. A three act rock anthem about partying like it’s the end of the world, because it just may be.

Director Matt Alto reached out to me last week to say hello and make sure I had noticed The Drollery had a show in the Fringe this year.  (I did notice, but it never hurts to remind me.)  He mentioned the show this year is “based off a show done at the Edinburgh Fringe fest that I saw in 2017 done by a group called Middle Child from Hull, UK: ‘All We Ever Wanted Was Everything.’ It’s a rock musical about Millennials growing up, but also an Asteroid coming to destroy earth. So it’s pretty out there but probably one of the most crowd pleasing entries The Drollery has done.”  

This would be my second “asteroid coming to destroy earth” Fringe show in recent memory - the last one before the pandemic, I ended up slow dancing with an alien onstage while Louie Armstrong crooned “What A Wonderful World,” so it’s clearly not a genre I have an aversion to.  I’m more than game to see what the Drollery’s take is on a party at the end of the world.



(Side note: It was hard to find useful links to coverage on the The Drollery because they were in my pre-Fringe Top 5 way back in 2008.  Like a lot of these earlier entries, I’ve been finding that I don’t have as strong a trail to follow as I’d been hoping.  The challenge of the reality that small businesses sometimes just go out of business is that sometimes that small business is a web host - and they take your website, your associated email address, and half the archive of your old Fringe reviews with them.  Sigh.  And 20 years ago software and formats were quite different, and it’s hard to remember to upgrade files sometimes as you move from one computer to the next.  But the recent demise of my web host is certainly making me rethink how I preserve the electronic library.  Sometimes we learn lessons the hard way.  This blog started on the Fringe website, and then migrated to Twin Cities Daily Planet, and back in the day I was much more naively confident about the fact that “well, doesn’t everything on the internet just continue to exist forever?  Don’t links remain good and unbroken in perpetuity?”  I did think, wisely, to start backing tings up on the old Blogger platform as well, but it’s an inexact science the further back in time we go.  Needless to say, I have a little rebuilding project ahead of me.  It’s probably all in offline files somewhere, but it’s gonna take some digging.  The archival project clock has begun ticking toward Fringe 2023 now, I guess.)

 

(You can click on the following links to see a set of links to the full Top 10 list, the Top 11-20 list, a list of returning favorites, and the full coverage of the 2022 Fringe on this blog.) 

(Side note: Also during Fringe season, Minnesota has a primary election coming up on August 9th.  Early voting options are currently available.  You can also check out what's on your ballot ahead of time on the Minnesota Secretary of State website, as well as other voting services and information.  In Minneapolis, not only do we have the Governor and Lt. Governor on the ballot, but there's our U.S. Congressional Rep., our MN State Senator, the MN Secretary of State and MN Attorney General, as well as our County Sheriff and County Attorney, and two members of the Minneapolis School Board.  These are the people who decide what laws we live under and how they get enforced.  These are the people who decide whether or not we have voting rights.  These are the people who decide how our kids learn.  This is how we change things.  Personally, I'm alternately furious and despairing that my goddaughter and her little sister now have fewer rights over their own bodies than they did a month ago - there are things we can do, voting in the primary (and the general election) is one of them - here's a place you can go to do more.)

 


No comments: