Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Fringe 2022 - Returning Favorites - Gabriel Mata


Joteria: Our Untold Stories… - Gabriel Mata & Adrian Gaston Garcia

Joteria: Our Untold Stories... expands the voices, bodies, and notions of the Mexican American identity with movement and storytelling centered around queerness.

Like many artists on this list of returning favorites, I don’t really need to sell you on Gabriel Mata.  He was amazing in the 2017 Fringe with Out of the Shadows (when his amusing preview landed him in my top five shows to see) (I saw the show three times, which is something I don't do). He was amazing again in the 2018 Fringe with Dreaming.  He was a deserved hit in both festivals with critics and audiences alike both years.  Now he’s back with a poet and storyteller as his creative partner on this show, so we’re in for yet another inspired twist on his original combination of dance and performance, I’m sure.  I’ve caught some of Gabriel’s work online during the first two years of the pandemic, which was great, but it’s not the same as seeing him in person on stage.  I’m very much looking forward to Joteria, and then thinking about and dissecting it for days afterward.  Gabriel’s shows cast a long shadow after you leave the theater - I have fewer higher compliments than that.  See it early in the festival if you can because, like me, you’ll probably want to go back and see it again.

 

(You can click on the following links to see a set of links to the full Top 10 list, the Top 11-20 list, a list of returning favorites, and the full coverage of the 2022 Fringe on this blog.) 

 

 

No comments: